Shirocco - Las Vegas, Nevada
Themes: work

I believe pressure will form diamonds, but too much force can break it.

When I was in elementary school I got nothing but straight A’s. Hoping to go to an all American college, like Harvard, I did the best I could in school. Everyday I would come home to practice my butt off, from spelling eighty words ten times each to exercising algebraic formulas with my dad. My dad was going to college and he would teach me what he would learn in class. Like a sponge I would easily absorb everything in. Getting good grades my parents were proud of me and it made me feel incredible.

Then I went to a difficult private middle school which helped keep up with my mental needs. The first few months I had the hardest time catching up with my classes, but day by day I would study to do my homework. The classes were so difficult, that I would study all night and when I would wake up I would have to study more. Sure enough the time paid off when I got my report cards with A’s and B’s. I felt a little disappointed inside because of my failure to not get straight A’s. My parents were happy with my grades but pushed me harder to get all A’s.

Going to high school I saw my opportunity to get good grades so I could go to college. I now wanted to go to University of Washington, which is in Seattle, one of the highest suicidal rates. I worked really hard for my grades getting barely by with A’s and B’s in my honors classes, but no matter how hard the class was my parents only saw one side of this fight, my grades. Getting the one C here and there, my parents would throw fits about my grade and tell me to do harder. There only words to me were “study more” or “put more effort into it”. Never was I congratulated on my A’s in classes. Feeling like I did not succeed to there standards started to make me feel sick. But it made me sick enough to were I could hardly go to class without moaning. Talking to my parents about it I found out it was from stress of my life becoming a new. College was around the corner and I was getting alarmed.

Years of schooling was being halted by this pain caused by stress. The pressure my parents put on my started to eat away at me. I wanted to do so good for my parents it made me sick to my stomach. The same pressure my parents had put on me to push through school had pushed my mind right out of it, making me question myself on what I wanted to do with my life.