Nickolette - Quinebaug, Connecticut
Themes: gratitude, peace

Swaying back and forth, back and forth on my grandparents’ hammock with the breeze rustling my hair and my sandy bare feet dangling over the edge, I closed my eyes and smiled with contentment. I had just finished reading a book and wondered what it would be like to come up with my own stories someday. As I lay there listening to the creak of the hammock, I contemplated my entire seven years of existence and gazed out at a passing sailboat. Suddenly, my quiet reverie was disturbed as my brother came plodding down the stairs begging me to come build a sand castle with him. Of course, being the seven year old I was, I couldn’t resist an opportunity to dig around in the sand. I jumped down from the hammock and as I ran to grab the good shovel before my brother got to it, realized that I enjoyed the quiet moments the best. I believe in quiet.

Since then, my life has become increasingly complex and stressful, and perhaps because of this, my belief in quiet reflection still holds true. Spending time alone with my thoughts can be daunting at times, especially with the many worries that come with being a teenager, but this time is what I look forward to the most. It allows me to relax and reflect on recent events and put them into perspective. These moments help me to keep my emotions in check when I get overwhelmed, and I can consider my future without unnecessary pressure. Most importantly though, when it is quiet I am able to define my beliefs without having to defend them; this quiet is my refuge from the world.

Everyone has a safe place where they can go to sort things out, and mine is wherever there is quiet. My safe place says a lot about my character; I am shy at heart and usually easygoing. I thoroughly enjoy the company of my family and friends, but it is always comforting to know that I have an escape. Appreciating quiet has taught me to value other things that are equally hard to appreciate such as the truth and learning from your mistakes. My beliefs have changed in many ways since that warm summer day, but my belief in quiet still remains. Without quiet, the world would be chaos.