The Power of Peanut Butter

Allison - Lisbon, Ohio

I believe in the power of peanut butter. Those who know me well know I have quite an addiction to this fabulous food. It is impossible to eat an entire jar in one sitting with no milk some may say, but to them I say seeing is believing. I have often wondered why I suffer a peanut butter addiction, and as I am growing and maturing I am beginning to realize the reason: Peanut butter mimics my life.

My addiction began with Jiff creamy peanut butter. I despised the crunchy variety. The smoothness of the peanut butter mirrors my life at the time in high school where life was moving along at a nice pace. I was getting excellent grades, getting accepted into colleges, and getting along with family and friends. I was unstoppable and thankful for a life blessed with so few rough spots at this particular time.

However, coincidentally of course, my mom cut off the supply of creamy peanut butter and switched to crunchy hoping my fetish would lull right around the same time I realized, as a sophomore in college, I was pregnant, having serious relationship issues with my family and with who I thought was the love of my life, as well as having low self-esteem and a negative self image. As much as I despised the crunchy peanut butter before facing this bump in the road, I learned to quickly adapt and appreciate this delicacy’s crunchy texture. Life is not always a smooth path and I had to learn to adapt and persevere, whether it be with respect to the peanut butter or a more serious life-changing issue. I learned to appreciate the difficulties I was facing and make the best out of each situation. I was determined to come out a winner and not give in to becoming a statistic and letting myself go just because of a “test”. I learned the rough parts of my life and how I handle these situations are what define me and make me the person I now am.

Although I rarely indulge in an entire jar of Jiff anymore, peanut butter is still linked to my daily life and moods. What type I crave depends on the day. I find myself craving smooth Jiff on good days and crunchy (or extra crunchy) on bad days. I find solace in knowing my life will not, 100% of the time, be “crunchy”. The proof is on the supermarket shelf!