Push yourself a little harder

Devon - Boise, Idaho
Themes: work

Always push yourself a little harder

Trying to do my best and pushing myself just a little harder is something I always try to do, even if I do not succeed.

When I first started following this belief I was about eight years old, and I had just started playing basketball. Unlike my classmates who had been playing sports since they could walk, this was the first time I had even touched a basketball. So, there I was, clutching my basketball looking at kids who had been playing basketball since they could walk. I thought to myself that I was never going to even get the ball, let alone make a basket, but my parents still came to the practices and cheered me on.

As the season progressed on I found out that no matter how bad I did my parents were always there, cheering me on, even when I had messed up. After one game I asked my parents why they would cheer me on. They answered me saying that it didn’t matter if I didn’t do well in the game but that I did my best and tried hard. Ever since then I have taken this belief seriously.

The reason this belief is so important to me is because it is so reassuring whenever I think about it, knowing that my parents will be happy because I tried my best and gave it my all. Because I was only eight years old when I heard this it stuck because I had always thought that that if I did not do well in something, my parents would not be happy for me.

Not long ago, I was reminded of this belief. I had been playing lacrosse for about five years and thought that I was pretty good going into the season, but then there were boys that were not only twice as big as me, but had put more of their time into it. Again, about halfway into the season I was sure that I did not want to play lacrosse anymore. After the game I walked off feeling gloomy. As I was walking back to our car my mom told me that I did amazing and that all the other parents were cheering me on. Still I felt that I had not done my best but my mom felt that I did saying that I had done my best and it didn’t matter that I did not score but played my heart out.

Everyone has beliefs about something that is important to them, mine just happens to be trying hard in everything that I do, even if I do not succeed.