Everyone deserves a family

Catherine - Wallingford, Connecticut

I will never forget the first day Tomas became a part of our family. I grew up in a family of seven, with four wonderful siblings and two loving parents. All I have ever known is the unconditional love that my family has for me, but I have since realized that I am one of very few in this world that share this feeling. However, I have come to realize everyone deserves it.

My mother has been a special education teacher since before I was born, and continues to practice this profession today. She is always asking my siblings and I to participate in activities with her students, and it is not often that we actually do. I have been to her classroom a few times, and have a hard time understanding how she manages these troubled children for eight hours a day. It really takes a special person to have the patience to deal with troubled children, but I wish more people would give it a chance.

Tomas was like all of her other students. He was his own family. He had nothing to look forward to or call his own. He spent every weekend and holiday on the campus of Lake Grove School. However, Tomas had my mom, and he soon had us.

I remember my mom begging my father to allow Tomas to become a part of our family. She tried for a few years to bring him into the house with his own bedroom. However, with Tomas’ condition, she soon realized this was not the best idea. Therefore, she decided to mentor him, and make him feel like he had a family without him living in our home.

My mother signed the legal guardian papers a few months ago, and Tomas became part of our family. He has since been to every holiday, and celebrated every family event with us. It has not been easy, but it has been rewarding knowing my mother made a huge difference in the life of someone who would otherwise never had one.

I think every child of the world deserves a loving family. Even if it’s difficult to foresee a new member of your family, it’s worth a try. We can all do the little things to truly make a difference in the life of another, and it’s truly the little things that matter. No matter how many problems children have; they all deserve a loving family. This I believe.