There is a silver lining on every cloud

Montana - New York

I believe that in every situation, there is good that can come of it. Although some people may not want to focus on the good in an extreme situation, where the good is difficult to distinguish at first through the haze of the bad, the good is always there. Some people choose to focus on the bad things in life. Those people never find true happiness, for they go looking for situations that will make them unhappy, unknowingly. It is only the people that spend their time focusing on all that is good that can be happy, whether it’s in life in general or in everyday activities. Not to say that we should all forget about the bad. The sad parts of life make us look forward to the happy parts of life, so without the sad there would be no happy, just blah.

I like to think of myself as someone who looks for and finds the silver lining on every cloud. A lot of kids my age (16) hate school and teachers and everything about it. But I don’t mind it. For ten months I get to be with my friends, learning, doing extra-curricular activities. I am in the school musical and I do not know what I would do if I wasn’t. If I didn’t go to school, I wouldn’t see my friends or get to be part in anything like the musical. But nonetheless, when summer comes I am grateful, because anyone from the northeast US could tell you how wonderful the winters are. But if I didn’t have the winter and school work, I wouldn’t look forward to the summer, it would just be blah.

I think that people who do not find the silver lining on their clouds are subconsciously looking for the clouds with the least amount of silver. Metaphorically speaking, the people who find happiness all the time subconsciously or consciously look for the clouds that are pure silver. Selfish people are often the people that cannot find the good in a situation, as they want to feel sad so that people will feel bad for them and sympathize. The selfish people just want to draw attention to themselves. I think that comedians are probably the type of people that find the good in situations, because watching some comedians, they joke about experiences they’ve had where some people would just complain about how bad it made them feel.

Because I’m involved with a musical, we rehearse for four months, 6 days a week every week and sometimes during school vacations. The whole process is great, but the last few nights, the nights of the show, are the best. When it’s over, everyone is depressed, but when someone reminds anyone in the cast about a song or a moment in the show, a smile alights on their face. This happens because the actors and actresses in the show had so much fun that the small peice of sadness at the end holds nothing. If everyone could find this kind of happiness during everyday experiences, the world would be a much better, much happier place. This I believe.