I believe in Coffee

Pierrette - Petaluma, California
Themes: pleasure

I Believe in Coffee,

I believe in coffee. From the time I was 10, coffee has been a mainstay. I remember my Mississippi great aunt warning, “coffee will make you black, gal!” as she boiled the ground coffee to make her special brew. My childhood was coffee out of cans that went whoosh; just an occasional Bustelo or Greek coffee. The kind that would climb out of the cups and slap your nose- to let you know who was in charge.

I believe in coffee. Unitarian after church coffee . Talking with the grownups; solving all the world problems in an hour. Munching on semi stale little cookies, coffee and cream…standing on the steps between the main sanctuary and little chapel.

I believe in coffee. The many cups in college and med school- half drank cold to keep me awake and focused. After a while the caffeine failed its function, but the need for the mugs and Styrofoam cups r remained. Helped me to pretend I was awake even when I was not.

I believe in coffee. The myriad of cups that I found walking into the “rooms.” Learning how to live; one day at a time. Sacred cups of coffee with lots of sugar and creamer. One of my first jobs to keep coming back was coffee maker. Had to come early to make the brew, stay late to clean up. The only vice left for many in the rooms. Learning how to make those endless cups to keep those living on life’s terms happy.

I believe in coffee.

Taking late cups after family parties. Families extending beyond blood relation, language and culture. Thick cups of Dominican coffee, Hawai’ian Kona . Coffee with a bit of Louisiana Chicory. Coffee from Jamaica. Coffee strong and sweet to go with the teasing and jiving. Laughing and dancing learning new traditions.

I believe in coffee, finding my own black-brown man from Ethiopia, cradle of coffee creation and producing my own little coffee bean. A boy who savers a cup of coffee with lots of milk and a bit of chocolate. A coffee ceremony lasting for the last 11 years.

Coffee brings me to my second living room, hearing the whoosh of foam, making best acrid cup. My favorite places to meet greet, write, pontificate and knit.

I believe in coffee- it runs through my body, fuels my creativity and bring me in common to friends well known and those not yet made.