We Learn From Our Mistakes

Grant - Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Themes: setbacks

If there is one thing that has been true at all times in my life, it is that I have made plenty of mistakes. Mistakes play a big role in everybody’s life. In my world, there are three kinds of mistakes that everybody can learn a thing or two from.

First, there are stupid mistakes. These are just dumb things that can happen to a person. For example, stubbing your toe, poking yourself in the eye with a banana or dropping your books in the hall are all just stupid mistakes. These help people develop their senses like hand to eye coordination.

Next, there are foreseeable mistakes. These are stoppable, but are caused by a strange blend of decisions. Examples of foreseeable mistakes include getting sick after breaking your old record of how many double cheeseburgers you can eat at McDonalds or doing poorly on a test after not studying. These mistakes help people know what they can or can’t handle and what they should or shouldn’t do. They will happen to everybody some time in their life, but are easy to understand so you won’t repeat.

Last but not least are unforeseeable mistakes. These are mistakes that are complicated and not easily avoided. For example, dating the wrong person or enrolling in a class that all of your friends love but you hate are unforeseeable mistakes. These mistakes help people in their understanding of life and the way things work.

After a while, you will start noticing that you make some of the same mistakes over and over again. This is great, because it means you are ready to learn something. After all, you can only learn from your mistakes if you admit to yourself that they happen. Sometimes, we have to make the same mistake a few times before we catch on. After that, we have to change our way of doing whatever it was that us make the mistake in the first place.

The next thing you have to know is that mistakes in themselves are not bad. Everybody makes mistakes, and there is nothing wrong with that. Mistakes are learning experiences and you can’t get down on yourself for making them. However, if we keep making the same mistakes over and over, that shows that we are not learning anything. It also means that we are living boring and repetitious lives. If we want to have interesting lives, the thing to do is make interesting mistakes. In fact, the more interesting kinds of mistakes we make, the more interesting our lives will be, as long as we learn from them.