I believe That People Can Change

Deven - Las Vegas, Nevada
Themes: change

I believe that people change. I believe in our own ability to make a different and to change the lives of those around us.

Some days I become discourage and frustrated when I hear the world news. There is so much destruction, famine, disease, depression, oppression, hate and terror that it becomes overwhelming at times. But then there are the stories of triumph and one person taking the time to change their or another person’s life. These are the stories I believe in. These are the stories that make human kind great.

God has a plan for everything that happens in this world. We may not understand his plans at first, but in the long run, every event or person that we meet in our lifetime helps us shape and grow into the human beings we are today. If it was not for my older sister involving herself in drugs, it would have not motivated me to do better in my life and to accomplish my goals. I want to graduate, move out and become someone important. After seeing the choices she made, I knew that was the not the lifestyle I wanted to live. My sister changed my life, and gave me a reason to be different that she was.

Whether it’s a change one makes in their-self or in someone else, it is the people around them who can make one want to change. The vague, basic characteristics of one’s personality may stay the same but one will have rethought and exchanged one’s morals and value based upon the experiences they have had throughout their life. The environment one lives in, plays a big role in shaping are they are, and who they will become.

As I have gotten older, I’ve realized that true change and empowerment often happens at a local level. Most people aren’t revolutionaries. Most people do not picket and protest. Most people make a difference in quiet ways that are uneventful and unnoticed. Collectively, however, it is these acts of kindness and greatness that is what I believe makes the most difference in this world and the people in it. I believe that people can change.