Rumors = Revenge

Devon - Gaylord, Michigan
Themes: good & evil

Being a teenager in high school, you realize that rumors are all around you and are sometimes started everyday. They can be about who is dating who, or, in most cases, something someone made up to hurt a person’s feelings. People witness rumors everyday, whether they’ve seen it on T.V about their favorite celebrity, or even made on up themselves at school. I personally haven’t been affected by rumors that were started about me, but I know that they can hurt.

On September 11, 2001, I was sitting in the nurse’s office at school because I has a pencil stuck in my leg. I called my mom, as I was told to do, but my brother answered instead because he was home sick. He told me he was watching the Twin Towers being hit by planes in New York City, New York. I didn’t really think it was a big deal, so I told him to tell out mom that I have a pencil stuck in my leg, but I was ok.

When I returned to my classroom, my teacher Mrs. Starkman asked me if i was alright. I told her about the planes in New York, so she told the rest of the school, all of the TV’s were turned on, and together we all watched terrorists from Iraq destroy the Twin Towers and kill innocent people.

The Iraqi War begas as the result of a rumor. Our president George W. Bush just though that Iraq’s leader at the time, Saddam Hussein, was hiding weapon’s of mass destruction, and he thought they would be used against the United States. Saddam Hussein was, though, making weapon’s of mass destruction, but he supposedky supplied them to Al Qaeda groups, which Osama bin Laden was apart of. So George W. Bush decided to go to war with Iraq without thinking it through all based on a rumor. Now thousand’s of innocent people are dead.

During this school year there was also a huge rumor. When I got to school one morning I had no idea that there was a threat going on; or what I thought was a threat. Like most of the students I was scared, but after a while I wasn’t anymore. I learned that the “threat” was just a misunderstanding because a teacher misheard someone talking and thought they were making a hit list. It was said that this student who was making the hit list was shopping online for guns; but it was all fake. It was a rumor.

I try not to believe everything I hear anymore, because I know a lot of things are fake. But there are so many rumors out there that I’m never completely sure what is real and what isn’t. I believe rumors are started out of hate. I believe rumors are a source of revenge. And I also believe rumors are unnecessary. If you have something to say, then say it; but don’t spread it around without confirming the truth.