Home Cooked Meals

Diana - Las Vegas, Nevada

Growing up, I have tired and tasted many different kinds of cooking, whether it’s dining out at a fancy restaurant or at a drive-thru of a fast food restaurant. Although I cannot say that I am a food critic, I think that I have enough experience for my taste buds to differentiate between what was cooked from the heart and what was just thrown together. Of all the foods I have tasted, nothing can compare to my mom’s cooking, which is why I believe in home cooked meals.

I have always enjoyed eating at home more than anywhere else. Maybe it is because of the comfortable atmosphere but I know that it is mainly due to the food itself. Home cooked meals have always made me feel warm inside. It gives me the sense of all the thought that went into it. I can taste the effort and love in the meals that I eat at home.

About four winters ago, my mom and her newly married husband took a vacation to Washington State to visit his parents. My sister and I could not go with them because we still had school, so we stayed at my dad’s house. Dad was always busy with work so he never really got a chance to cook anything decent for us to eat. He only had time to take us out to fast food restaurants and a few nice places. We ate instant noodles and hot pockets a couple times here and there but even though they were cooked at home, there was still something missing.

It was during those two weeks that I had realized something – that my mom’s cooking was the best. I realized that nothing could beat home cooked meals. The thing that was missing from those meals I had while staying at my dad’s was love. I am not saying that instant noodles, hot pockets or any other fast food is bad in taste or that my dad does not love me. They were just missing the affection of real home cooked meals.

I do not think I can ever forget this comfort for as long as I live. However, I know that one day I will grow up, live on my own and make my own home cooked meals that I can share with others. If it is cooking that comes from the heart, then I believe that home cooked meals can bring any one the same feeling of warmth and love that I get when I eat anything that my mom makes for me.