I beliebe in the Strength of One Table

Cherise - Pickerington, Ohio
Themes: family, place

I believe in the Strength of One Table

I believe in gathering at the dinner table. Eating together is important whether it is your immediate family or extended. When with immediate family it’s important to have to time share daily struggles. When I’m with my immediate family eating, I like to talk about problems of the day, things I might face and, just chat about the news. I can remember my mother and father getting up with me before I had a big day at school. My dad would start the eggs and my mom would start the toast. Eating that small meal together meant the world to me. It meant they cared and wanted me to have the best day. Being with my parents at the dinner table is a way to keep the lines of communication clear. There’s always a chance for me to share with my family.

When with extended family it’s important to gather at the table to share issues effecting our culture and recent accomplishments in our lives. With extended family many proposals, announcements, and plans are made over the dinner table. It’s a gathering place for gossip and a never ending cycle of praises. I always feel confident belting out a note. I can remember learning the words to a song for Christmas service early, which I was to sing at church. My mom made me sing it after everyone sat down to the table. Everyone boasted how sweet I was and how proud they were.

This meeting can also be a celebration of life. Life still living or life that has passed on ahead of us. Being at the dinner table with my family is always a happy time, even in the saddest circumstances. When I sit down to a meal with family after a funeral, I am still happy. I can think back to the somber walk from a small and humble church after my grandpa’s funeral dinner, I shared my feelings. Being able to let someone else know my inner feelings and have them share some of the same emotions, can make a world of difference. I felt so depressed and torn up inside. Once we got to the after funeral dinner, I shared my feelings. In some ways talking with my family at the table seemed to mend some fresh scars. I’m happy we are together and supporting each other.

Gathering at the dinner table with my family builds my character, my knowledge, and my strength. My character is built at the dinner table by being told different values over gentle laughter. My knowledge is built by taking in all the different experiences family members have had over the years. My strength comes from the courage, confidence and advice I receive at that special table.

To some people a dinner table might just be four pieces of wood as legs and a nice matching top. To me a dinner table is so much more than a piece of furniture. A table means a time for gathering, sharing and, loving has come. I believe in the dinner table and its power to build up a family.