Remember to Say

Trisha - Grace, Idaho
Themes: family, love, setbacks

After the three hour wrestling match my children and I started our trip home. The darkness outside seemed endless with very little moon light, under the cloudless sky the temperature had dropped into the single digits. The roads seemed clear and dry for the most part until I turned off of the freeway to the state roads which would lead us home. I turned to look in the backseat and saw all of my children sleeping soundly. I knew that only about 7 miles separated us from home when I saw the back end of the semi trailer in front of me start to fishtail. Until this point I had just had the cruise control set, but when I saw that the roads must be slick I immediately hit the button on the steering wheel to shut off the cruise control. I soon found that I would pay for this mistake. The large truck I was driving was too heavy on the black ice covered road. I could instantly feel that the tires of my truck were starting to slide. I took hold of the wheel with both hands trying to regain control. I swerved in and out of both lanes on the road. After what seemed like an eternity my truck spun around the opposite direction and both of the passenger side tires hit the dry dirt on the side of the road causing the truck to roll over and over.

Our truck finally came to rest on the driver side. I immediately unbuckled and stood up to yell for help. Then I ducked back down into the truck to check on my children, who were all very scared. Although they were screaming and very upset none of them were seriously hurt. Thankfully I had placed all three of them in car seats. The driver of the car following behind us came to help get us out of the truck. After we all escaped from the wreckage and sat safely inside the car of the other driver I called my husband to let him know what had happened. As I tried to explain to him that we had just been in a wreck my voice was shaking and I was talking very erratically. Because of the state of panic that I was in, my husband could not understand me. I handed the phone to the other driver and he proceeded to explain the situation. Soon the ambulance arrived to take all of us to the hospital to assess our injuries.

At the hospital as my husband held me in his arms. I remembered that even though an argument had transpired between us before I had left that day both of us still said how much we loved each other. I pulled back from him slightly, looked in his eyes and said, “No matter what happens I will never drive away without telling you how much I love you.” Then I lowered my head back to his chest and felt myself become enveloped in his embrace. As I sat there holding my husband I remembered something that my mother had always told me, “never go to bed or leave the house angry without saying I love you. You never know what will happen and it may be the last time that you get to say it to that person.” At that moment I was very thankful for her words and how much they meant to me.