I Believe in Barking

Becky - Anchorage, Alaska
Age Group: 65+

My name is Coco Beard, and I live with my sister, Peanut and our adopted mom in Anchorage, Alaska. We don’t remember our birth mom, who was a Chihuahua, or our dads (mine was a Poodle, and Peanut’s was a Dachshund), but Peanut and I have always been together.

While Peanut and I believe that most people were created to fuss over us and tell us how cute we are, our strongest belief is in the need to bark.

Mom thinks we bark to drive her crazy, but we bark to warn her about the guy with the noisy machine who steals our grass, about the truck that steals our trash every week, about the noisy truck that steals our snow, and about the cats and dogs that run around our cul-de-sac. We also bark to let her know when someone comes to the front door and to let that someone know we are here to protect Mom. Sometimes we just bark to get Mom to come into the room with us.

When Mom takes us for a walk, we bark at the dogs we see fenced or tied in yards. If they are not fenced in or on leashes, we bark at them and then run the other way.

Mom almost had us de-barked when a former landlord told her we had to leave because our barking bothered him. As a result, Mom bought her first home, and we were allowed to keep our barks.

Therefore, we owe it to Mom to warn her of the dangers lurking in our cul-de-sac, and barking is the best way to do so.

Since I never went to school and learned to write, Mom is writing this for me. I hope she gets it right.