I Believe in Reviving Family Traditions

Amanda - Owensboro, Kentucky

I remember Christmas this year with my Mom, Dad and younger brother. The boring morning to wake up and know these are the only people you are going to see for the next twenty-four hours. Eating left over’s and playing board games. Growing up with a huge family I was always used to celebrating big Christmases’ together. I guess I never really thought much about how important or meaningful the Christmas’s really were. Now that I’m twenty years old and only celebrate Christmas with my immediate family, I now realize just how important the Christmas’s were. Today after all this time I now believe in reviving family traditions.

Being a young girl around the age of twelve I can say the one thing I miss most about these family Christmas’s would have to be all of that delicious food the family cooked. I can remember my Mom slaving over the stove for hours with the smells of green beans, mashed potatoes and stuffing in the air. After awhile my Aunt Linda would arrive with her appetizing dishes that were made up of macaroni and cheese (homemade, of course), broccoli casserole and that scrumptious honey baked ham. If that food wasn’t enough my Aunt Linda also brought my favorite dessert, divinity. She also made the best peanut butter fudge, even though I wasn’t a huge fudge fan.

While everyone was still munching on their favorite desserts we’d all gather in the family room by the Christmas tree. The kids would make sure we had the best seats, sitting close to the tree, and those presents under it as we could. I took all the presents with the name “Amanda,” on them and ripped off that neatly placed bow and that matching paper to go with it only to discover something I really didn’t need. We got our little knick-knacks, gift certificates and socks from Mamaw. The most satisfied with their presents were the younger children. They’d play for hours with their one toy car or pretty little Barbie doll.

After the opening the presents all the grown-ups would start back into the living room and gather around the table to play their famous card game of, “Pass the Trash.” It’s funny how I remember wanting to play cards with them so bad. I can remember my Dad shouting, “Amanda, come over here on my lap and play a couple hands.” Man was I excited! Those couple of hands I played seemed like a lifetime of playing.

This Christmas was my last Christmas spent with the whole family. It’s been around four years since the last time we all have got together to spend a big family Christmas together. I’d give millions to be in that moment again. I hope that one day soon the family can realize just how important Christmas really is and that we can soon meet again as we once did. I wish that I would have cherished those moments more and maybe even been happier.