I Believe in teh Power of Prayer

Devin - New Albany, Indiana

Six years ago my family received some very bad news. My aunt Jennifer was diagnosed with breast cancer. Our entire family was stricken with grief. She had three young boys under the age of seven at the time. She was always a very kind and caring person and was a very good practicing Christian. Two years later, her cancer had metastasized and was terminal. Now, I and most every person in my family pray for her every day, and four years later, she is still alive. I cannot prove what is keeping her here on earth, but I believe that it is our prayers.

It is hard to imagine the future without my aunt with me. As hard as it is for me, it must be a hundred times harder for my cousins who are currently ages seven, eight, and twelve. My aunt is my Godmother and has always been an important part in my life, as well as an important part in many lives in her whole community. She is always reaching out and touching someone who is needing help. She volunteers as a Sunday school teacher and works with the parish service group to help community families in need. That made it so much harder deal with the fact of her cancer. It shocked her whole community.

Ever since her diagnosis, she has undergone chemotherapy. She has fought very hard to keep her life as normal as possible. She does her best to live as though she is well and normal and not like she has cancer; I think that keeps her will to live going. Her strength

has been so remarkable that she is truly a role model for all people and especially me. I am not sure that I could have reacted as well as she did to the news of cancer. She gave me new ideas on how to handle bad news.

Today, I know that numerous people pray for Jennifer’s health every day, me being one of them. It could be the medication she uses or just her will to survive, but I truly believe that through our prayers God is giving her more time with her family. So, now I pray for her health every day because I do not what to see her go away. She has always been a good aunt and person to me. There is nothing scientifically explaining why she is still here today, but I think I know what it is. It is God protecting her in response to our prayer. Every day I give God thanks and praise before I fall asleep, and I think God listens and answers my prayers.