Living your life to the fullest

Amanda - Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Themes: carpe diem

Living your life to the fullest

Not very many people know this about me but when I was in 5th grade I lost my best friend. Cerena Burwell was only 8 years old and in the 3rd grade when she died. One day she had gone out on her bike to get her grandfathers mail when she was hit by a car. She suffered from major brain damage and several broken bones all over her body. Her parents called us and we immediately drove down to see her. The whole car ride there the only thing I could think about was if she would ever look the same and if she would ever be able to remember me. I had never thought about what the worst could have been. Cerena had an older brother Colby, and she was always wanting to go everywhere with him, out with his girlfriend or even to the movies with his buddies it didn’t matter she wanted to go everywhere. She turned out to be a huge trouble maker and very ornery, but she was strong willed. Her and I were total opposites but we were best friends. It’s like they say “opposites attract”. When we finally arrived at the hospital it seemed like an eternity had passed. I just kept telling myself “she’s going to be okay Amanda, she’s strong, and she’ll pull through”, I just knew it. My mom and dad had gone in to see her first. When they finally came out both of them were in tears. I think that was the first time I had ever seen my dad cry. I asked if I could go see her but they said that I shouldn’t because she didn’t even look like the Cerena I knew, but I didn’t care I had to tell my best friend goodbye. It didn’t matter they wouldn’t let me in they said that it would be best if I didn’t. Then when the doctors came out we thought they were bringing us good news but when they said that she was in a better place I couldn’t believe it I just wanted to wake up from the most terrifying dream I’d ever had, but I didn’t wake up this was real. When they said she was gone it was like somebody had ripped my heart out, I was broken and I’d never see my best friend again. I think I cried a river that day and several nights after that, it was so hard for me to cope with the loss of my friend and I had so many questions that were unanswered. Questions like “why Cerena, why someone so young and innocent, why someone who still had a full life ahead of them?” But now I know that God had a plan for Cerena and he had a reason to take her away and that it was just meant to be. I am still trying to understand that but now this crisis in my life has only made me a stronger person.

I believe that you should live your life to the fullest. I know that Cerena died at a very young age and she still had a full life ahead of her, but I’m happy to know that she went through each day loving who she was, what she did, and being around all the people that loved her back. Just think, something like that could happen to you or me at any time, and in a heartbeat a life could be ruined. So live your life to its greatest potential don’t hold back, take chances, and be who you want to be.

Cherish every moment that you have with friends and family because you never know what can happen tomorrow. Looking back now I cherish every moment I had with her and only wish I could have spent more time with her.

After Cerena died it was like a part of me was missing. I don’t really think I had appreciated her as much as I should have. Now that she is gone not spending as much time with her is something that I feel guilty for and regret to this day. I miss those days when we went horse riding together and would play Marco Polo in her pool. I miss the Forth of July weekends when we would shoot of fireworks with our family and friends out in the country at their house. I miss those days when we would just sit on her trampoline and eat popsicles and see whose tongue would turn the bluest. I miss all those days.

So I’m writing this speech to say what I believe in and I believe in living your life to the fullest. Go through each day like its your last and let all the people that you love dearly and are close to your heart know how much you love them.

This I believe.