Michael - Wichita, Kansas

The funny thing about this essay is that it more than likely will become obsolete faster than any piece of technology on the market today. Much like Stephen Dedalus I am constantly challenging my own beliefs. The more I read, the more I listen to lectures or interviews, the more I learn, and it seems that what I believe as an overall ideology becomes vaguer. Odd that the more educated you become on the gray areas the grayer they become. But I do believe in several things without a doubt.

I believe in truth, more specifically human’s pursuit of it. Truth to me is what is real, what is science, what do I feel, how I see the world. The application of truth is justice, peace and a balanced world. As I see it they’re many ways to pursue truth that is why one thing I believe is humanities capacity to make art. Art is that, it’s the collision of a thoughtful mind with a creative one; it’s the expression of the intangible. I believe art is more important to us as humans than we can imagine. As humans as a species grow cultural evolution has occurred, many time this changed was facilitated, catalyzed or at least helped by art. Many ideas have existed but not adopted by society, it has been the function of art to introduce many of these ideas. As these ideas are accepted and added to the melting pot of societal values, we grow.

I believe in living and let live, Thomas Jefferson once said “An honest man can feel no pleasure from exercising control over his fellow citizen” which I feel is true. Let people do their thing, it seems that many conflicts historically have been because one group attempted to subjugate another under themselves, even as I type this Kosovo seeks autonomy, Myanmar is very scary now, and we have indefinitely detained other human beings. I think that the only way we can truly find the peace that we seek is when we stop caring what the other guy does, or thinks and just go with it. Many conflicts would be solved violent and non-violent.

I believe in the fight against injustice. It seems that any form of media out there is saturated with atrocities, accidents, and injustices. Many times it seems hopeless, and how we as a society have chosen to respond to the world indicates we feel this. But I believe in the unrelenting chant of justice in every way we can. Even if the truth dies the keening should never be absolved. Because I believe in the fight I believe that it can be won, hope is almost a prerequisite, and to participate it requires everyone to place their duty before all else, their duty to stay free and exercise that right.

These beliefs were even shaped while I wrote this, it’s very easy to form an opinion on a specific issue, but to create an overall belief was mountainous. While these are my words I feel as though they are simply just a universal truth.