Change Is Good

Aaron - Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Themes: change

Sometimes in our lives, we are faced with obstacles that we often don’t want to have to face. For me, one of those obstacles was my moving to Bartlesville, Oklahoma the summer before 8th grade. I had a good life in Altus, good friends, good home life, good community, which made it incredibly hard for me to let all that go. My Aunt Lee had just moved to Bartlesville to be closer to family after she was diagnosed with cancer when my mom decided that she wanted to spend as much time with her as possible before she passed away. But that was difficult, considering that we lived nearly five hours away from each other. I found out that we were moving in January of 2006. I had to keep it a secret from my friends because we didn’t want to stir things up. That was really difficult for me, because my best friend, Chris, whom I’d been companions with for my entire life, was so oblivious to the fact that we were moving. I wanted to tell him everything, but I couldn’t bring myself to it. I knew that he wouldn’t know what to do… I sure didn’t. We moved just two months after we’d shared the news with our friends in Altus. I didn’t get to spend much time with them that summer though, we were far too busy packing and moving out our belongings. I didn’t want to move, I was reluctant to move in so many ways, convinced that life would not go on after being separated from the person who’d made my dull life seem fascinating for so many years. I started school at Central in Bartlesville a shy, nervous, and unenthusiastic student. The departure from my home left me lost in the new city that would, over time, become my home. Surprisingly, I was greeted very kindly by the students at the school, which made me feel more welcome than I could’ve imagined. Moving away from home was my worst nightmare being lived out. Something that could never be good in my mind, became one of the best blessings I could’ve imagined. Had I not moved to Bartlesville, I would never have met all the wonderful people that surround me and keep me balanced. I would never have gotten close to my extended family. And I would never have found a place that felt more like home than my first home. Change is good. This I believe.