No Labeling!

Janie - West Jordan, Utah

“No Labeling!”

By: Janie R

This year, being the first year in high school, has changed my way of thinking by a lot. I have a lot of friends from a lot of different kinds of groups. I don’t just stay with one group and don’t talk to anyone else like a lot of people at our school do. This is what I want to write about. I believe that there should be no stupid cliques anymore. I think its stupid and immature when people think they can only hang out and talk to certain people. I think we shouldn’t label because it hurts peoples feelings, it’s immature, and we should be nice to everyone!

When people at my school look at other people weird and say rude stuff about them, it just makes me feel bad for that person. Recently at our school, some kids at my school who are made fun of a lot and are different all wore shirts that had pieces of paper that had the saying, “Stop Labeling! We are people too!” And at first when I saw that I just thought it was stupid and laughed it off. But then I saw how confident they were to walk around with those on their shirts and it got to me. They really are just people too! And I will admit I am guilty of making fun of them at one time or another and right then and there I decided i wasn’t going to do that anymore. Or try really hard not to. Because it just hurts their feelings and they really are just people too.

Teenagers go through a lot of tough times in their lives and doing this to them does not help with anything. It only makes them look at you as a jerk and not like you at all. It doesn’t make friends. I know I need to work on this too but what I really believe is that we shouldn’t go around labeling everyone that we think is different. And I really wish that other people that do the same thing would realize what I realized that day when I saw all those people with their signs. It would make everything so much better in the long run.