This I believe

Megan - Connelly Springs, North Carolina

Have you ever walked into a room and had all whispers and all eyes turn to look at you, in the world of high school that is not an uncommon occurrence. In high school rumors can spread like wildfire, and people will turn on you and not even think twice about it. What I have come to realize is that you need to surround yourself with people who love you.

I used to think that as long as you were respectful to everyone then they would like you and be respectful back. This was before that day five years ago when I literally lost all my friends. It started with a kiss and ended with a note. It began when a guy kissed me, a kiss I didn’t want by the way, and my friends decided to take it into their own hands. I know that sounds juvenile, but these were my friends, and they were important to me. We had been together a long time. I was shocked to find this kiss would end our friendship and even more shocked by the note they gave me saying goodbye. It was filled with many choice words and a not so sweet farewell. It hurt to find that our friendship was so superficial that one insignificant guy could end it. They were everything that made me laugh and smile. They were my best friends and my place to confide.

What I didn’t realize is that there are so many rules to being someone’s friend. You should stop and think that if you need rules to be someone’s friend then it’s not a lasting bond. It’s so hard to find friends that love you no matter what, and when you do they should be cherished. I’m genuinely ecstatic to experience what I did because as a result I’ve gained a family in my new friends. Some people are only blessed with one best friend, but I was blessed with three. We are so close, and they are literally my support system. Without them my life would be less interesting. Another idea I learned is that you need to love yourself before others will love you. You can’t let one mistake get you down. You want your friends to know the real you so they will love you for who you are, not who they think you are.

I think that if you love yourself and have friends that love you then you can walk into a crowded room and not be bothered by the silent stares but instead embrace them because you’re proud of who you have become. Once that happens, the rest comes easily. I believe that no matter how much you want everyone to like you, the most important concept to remember is that you love should yourself and surround yourself with people who like you for exactly who you are.