I Believe in Living Life to the Fullest

Miranda - Harlingen, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

What is happiness? For many people, it’s just an emotion, or a place, or an event, or even a person. It could be eating an ice cream on a hot day, or a hug from the parent that never seemed to be satisfied. But happiness, in essence, is none of these. Happiness is a life style, a life long pursuit of a state of being, that for many, becomes an obsession. So what do I believe in? I believe in this pursuit of happiness, and in definition, living life to its utterly complete fullness.

As a child, I was a bit “sheltered”, raised to be scared of common things like not talking to strangers or going anywhere alone; of bad grades, of cuts, and germs; Common things that, as miniscule as they seem, can and do lead to fear of other things. And so my life of fear, as most young children, began.

As I got older, and even now at the ripe young age of 16, I find myself contemplating my happiness and what it is that would give my life that sense of fulfillment meant for human beings. Is it success, or love, or generosity? What makes people “really” happy? As a musician, I have had the opportunity to meet some famous musicians and all around talented people. And as I blaze through my mental list of these people, the nicest and most successful of them were essentially happy. They had lived their dreams, gone for the gold, and done all of those seemingly “cliché” things your parents and teachers have religiously preached to you since you were young.

Then it struck me. Anyone can do this. Anyone can be happy. The reason these people are happy is because they took chances. This doesn’t necessarily mean they were never scared, but they put fear aside and took all of their other beliefs instilled in them, and lived life. They really lived their lives. All of the beliefs of others, including taking chances, being open minded, accepting criticism, and having the strength to continue not matter the circumstances, are incorporated in living the fullest of lives, and in turn, being a truly happy person.

So what do I believe makes a life full? I believe that living a full life doesn’t mean being happy all of the time. It’s a series of emotions and events placed in a certain order. Living a full life means getting out there and living, not just taking your world and shrinking it, then proceeding to place it in a snow globe to glance at every time you feel a little philosophical. Living life means taking all of your beliefs, and taking a hold of your destiny, and going for anything and everything you want.

This doesn’t mean, unless desired, to go bungee jumping just because you’re scared of it, or to run a 60 mile marathon just to see if you can do it, while knowing you have a serious heart murmur. Living life can be something large and epic or something small like talking to an unknown person and learning something about them, or stopping and “smelling the roses” as our elders like to say. We live in a fast society that sometimes, in all it fears and speed, forgets to grasp life and actually enjoy it. Every single bit of it. Every event, every person, and every emotion.

I believe being truly happy, not just emotionally happy, but being happy to be alive and experience every part of life, comes with simply living. Drinking it all in like a fine Merlot wine. I believe in the pursuit of happiness, and I believe in living life to the fullest.