life is about taking chances

angela - tacoma, Washington

As I walked through the door all alone, into the 25 meter pool and its chlorine filled air; I took a deep breath and continued on. Only to be greeted by a few familiar faces and the coach calling me by my nickname from the previous year. And of course half of the team was new; which was why I didn’t want to play water polo alone this year. Last year I was accompanied by my next-door neighbor who thought it was a good idea that I played water polo. Well it turns out she was right and that I love water polo and everything about it. But this year she went off to college which left me to go on my own.

All my life I’ve been dependent on someone other than me. There has been so many things that I couldn’t do on my own, because I was too shy to talk to anyone I did not know. I couldn’t go to a restaurant and order my own food. Go to the store and return something. Ask for help when I needed it. If I had to say more than two words, to someone than I would make someone else talk for me because I hated it that much. One thing I know I would never do is join some type of team without knowing at least someone. But I have finally come to the realization that it is not a good way to live.

I believe that applying at SOTA was one of the things I wouldn’t have done either and I remember how scared I was to have an interview with teachers. This was the beginning of it all. Now that I have realized that I HAVE to talk to people no matter what, that I cannot avoid it anymore I’m not as worried as I used to be. I have come to the conclusion that this is not living life to the fullest that you have to take chances, even if the end affect is negative.

I still prefer not to talk to people but I know that I have to and it does not faze me anymore. Because what is the beauty in life if you do not take chances good or bad? Sometimes you just have to not think and just do. You can not regret what has been done it is over and you cannot change it, you just have to learn from it.