The power within yourself

Amy - owasso, Oklahoma

I believe in me. I believe everyone has the power to achieve their dreams. I was a cheerleader for five years in my eighth grade school year. One particular day, it was raining outside so we all decided to practice in the gym. We went ahead and started working on our choreography. At the end of the dance performance, we built extensions. For those of you who were not in cheerleading, this is a basic stunt with two bases each holding one of the flyer’s feet at chest level and a spotter standing behind.

We built one large pyramid at the end of the dance. I was the smallest cheerleader on the squad, that meant I was on the top. Just as I got to the fourth row, I was able to look up at the coach just long enough to see the horrified look on his face. I was unable to understand or read his lips. As I saw the concrete floor coming closer and closer to my face. I don’t remember anything after I hit the cold, hard floor. As I was lying there I could see everyone gathering around me. I saw them talking, but I couldn’t hear anything! I tried to move, but I couldn’t. I could see my coach motioning and telling me to stay down. Later, the doctor, Dr Hays told me I was temporarily paralyzed at that point. Dr Hays said I had a concussion and that my personality might change. I am not sure if my personality has changed, but I know I did.

I didn’t tell anyone for a while after the accident that I could not remember three days before the fall. When I finally did, my parents took me back to the doctor. Dr. Hays gave me a total physical. When he was finished he said other than some questionable moles he wasn’t concerned about me. He told my parents I would get my memory back eventually. When we got home I went straight to my room. I felt like I was trying to get to know someone in five minutes. I stayed in my room all day just looking at my pictures trying to force myself to remember. Depression and loneness set in very fast.

I had given up on myself. I went on like this for eight years until I had a baby. He helped me to realize I want and need to do better for myself and for him. When my baby, Kaden, was seven months old I started working as a medical assistant in the office of my ob/gyn doctor. That is where getting my nursing license came up. I decided I was going to go to college. I am now finished with my basics and heading into the nursing program. Even though I do not remember my childhood, I still thrive on. I believe everyone has the power in themselves to do what their heart desires.