I Believe in the Power of Inspiration

Jessica - Fort Wayne, Indiana

I believe in inspiration. I believe that I have become who I am, because I am inspired by everything around me. Inspiration is what causes me to change, alter my perspective, bestow faith in myself, and allow me to dream of changing the world. For me, inspiration comes through writing, music, and through my hero, my mom.

Writing has always been an infatuation of mine. And getting into a paper has never been very hard. Even if it’s something I hate, I can still put passion into what I write. I love to write partly because it helps me figure things out. I write when I’m confused, happy, sad, or any combination of those three. It also inspires me to do the things I believe in expressed in my writing. Usually, I write poetry. My dream is to one day inspire others with my words like they have inspired me.

Music is another inspiration of mine, and I listen to it almost all the time. I love the simple words that music tells, and how they seem to fit my life story even when I know they really aren’t meant just for me. It inspires me to believe in having dreams. It’s actually the reason I started to write. When I was little I wrote songs because I wanted to make others feel how music makes me feel, and it has now grown to where I write with one honest promise to myself to always pour the words straight from my heart.

Another inspiration of mine is my mother. She was the kind of person who always had that “the sun will come out tomorrow” attitude. In my darkest moments of despair, my mother was always there for me. She made me feel like it really wasn’t the end, and that honestly what was making me so upset really wasn’t that big of a deal. My mother had a way of just making things feel better, even if they were some of the worst and most painful things I’d ever been through. I could dwell on something for days and see no way out of it, but within five minutes of talking to my mom she came up with something I hadn’t thought of before.

About three months ago, my mom killed herself. I struggled a lot because the one that usually helped me pull through when I really needed her was the one that had shoved me down and ripped me in half. It is one of the hardest things I have ever had to go through. But, through the inspiration that music, my writing, and my mother have bestowed in me, I have been able to get through it. They have inspired me to keep going and to live life to the fullest. I know I will get through everything that has happened with my mother and that I will overcome any obstacles in the future because my inspirations inspire me to have faith in myself and my dreams. My inspirations make me strong; they make me who I am. I believe in inspiration.