Trust is Important

Chris - Louisville, Kentucky

I believe that people should be trustworthy. Being trusted is very important to me. I like the idea of people trusting me. I think it is a good idea that everyone should try to be trustworthy. When I can’t trust one of my friends I hardly even talk to them. If one of my friends doesn’t trust me, I usually try to gain their trust. If I can’t it doesn’t bother me too much, but it’s a good thing to have.

If more people trusted each other the community would be friendlier. Less people would be isolated from others. I am not saying that we should trust that the shady-looking guy with the butcher knife in his hand on the bus is going to hold your wallet while you try to pick something up. We shouldn’t just trust blindly, we should have some foresight into it. If someone is nice and seems like a good person, you should trust them. Maybe not after first meeting them, but it shouldn’t take long for them to gain your trust. I have a friend who thinks that most people are out to get you. I’m sure that there are people who are, but she automatically thinks that when she sees a person she has to be secretive. Because of this she doesn’t get many new friends, if she would just trust more people would like her more.

It doesn’t take much to get my trust, but it takes a lot to get it back. One time I was very angry at one of my friends. I wanted to talk about it so I started to talk with another one of my friends, who we’ll just call Fred for the sake of not confusing anyone. I was talking to Fred about what my friend did that made me so angry and I asked Fred to not tell my friend I said any of this. The next day Fred immediately told my friend and got every angry with me. My friend and I are good now, but I still don’t trust Fred.

If more people trusted their peers then we would live in a much better place. People would have more friends. Overall, trust is a very good trait to have.