Blood, Sweat, and Tears

William - Louisville, Kentucky
Themes: work

Blood, Sweat, And Tears

I believe in hard work–the kind of work that makes your heart beat faster, makes you sweat that much more than everybody else, and puts you in so much pain at the finish line you need someone to hold you up. When I finish my life, I want people to look at me and say that I did exactly that.

One of the heroes in my life is Steve Prefontaine, a running legend who embodied all that hard work is. He would go above and beyond what his coach told him. If he were to run five miles, he would run six; whenever he was to go at medium pace, he sprinted; and even if his coach’s goal for him was to become Pac-8 champion, he would become a national champion. He even had a little arrogance to him because every race he made sure that nobody beat him. Nothing was going to stop him. He said something one day that I find inspirational, “To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.”

I volunteer at my grade school with the basketball program. I help coach the eighth grade “A” team, and we all know how kids can be when they make a couple of mistakes: they put their heads down and do nothing. Sometimes I just want to get up in their faces and yell, “Get yourselves together and work your butts off every play!” Whether it is giving 110 percent every play, every test, or every down, hard work will get you places you have never dreamed of.

You should always work hard because you never know when there is that one moment when that one person is watching and that one person can change your life forever. Remember that each one of us has the power and the determination to change the course of our future.

Now you can go out and be like Steve Prefontaine and give it all you have, or you can totally ignore this and walk away. It is all up to you how you want to live your life because success is not just handed to you; it must be pursued with tenacity and perseverance.