I Believe in a God

Bevin - phoenix, Arizona

This I believe …

I believe in a higher power. I was a senior in high school ready to graduate in a few months with the world at my fingertips. Five months before graduation a sudden emotional tornado would devastate my family. My parents divorced, my mother moved out, had a new boyfriend and my father lost his job months before retirement. The devastation of losing my mother to another man was all too disturbing for my father to handle. The misery would send him into a drinking hysteria from which he would never return. Finally emotions erupted between my father and me. I ran out of the house and into my car. I drove for hours, I could have driven to my mother’s house but I was still upset and blamed her for my situation. I lived in my car for the next couple of days, too angry with my mother and too hurt and depressed to even look at my father.

I went to a friend’s house where I showered and had a nice talk with my friend’s mother. After the talk I realized I needed to go out and take care of some errands I had been putting off. It was a nice morning but I did not seem to notice; I sulked in my car looking at the people walking in and out of the cell phone store. I needed a new phone I needed my life put back together. I put on a happy face, one I had become very persuasive with, and got out of the car and walked into the store. The store seemed to clear out as I walked in. I walked to the counter where an older man in a blue shirt stood. I asked him about the different plans and phones when he stopped me. “You are not here for a phone”, he said. Bewildered I looked at him, “you are going to be ok, God loves you, and you will be ok.” I was surprised by what he said, there was no way he would have known there was anything wrong in my life. Another man came in from the back with a bible in his hand. At first I was confused, however they spoke to me for sometime telling me things would get better and what had happened in my family was not my fault. I left the store feeling lighter, as if something or someone had single handedly altered my life path.

After leaving the cell phone store I went to buy a Maltese cross, believed to protect firefighters, for a friend of mine who had recently made it on the fire department. When I walked in the store an older woman brought me over to the Maltese cross selection. I found the perfect one, when I went over to the register to purchase the cross; I realized I did not have enough money. Before I could say a word the woman placed the cross in my hand and said everything was going to be ok. At a time in my life when I thought my mom was too wrapped up in her new life, my father too drunk and disconnected from reality I saw there was always someone who would always be there for me. God had sent me three angles to help me over come what I could not on my own.