This I believe

Kylee - Bartlesville, Oklahoma

This I Believe…

I believe in being the bigger person throughout life. Not until a couple months ago was I faced with a situation that changed my life forever, and forced me to choose between two different life styles. Up until this time I hung out with people whom I thought were my real friends and I ended up doing things they did, talking like they did, and thinking like they did to a certain degree. I personally think that eventually every teenager experiences this in some way because we all strive to be accepted.

There will be tough times in life right along with the good times. I myself am a pessimistic person in most situations in life, but this experience has forced me to look for the good and trust me it was hard but by becoming closer to Christ I have been able to find some good in this horrible situation. The tough times that I have been through personally has affected my life and forced me to look back at the choices I have made and the people I have chosen to be around. I was physically and emotionally hurt by somebody’s actions towards me and now I’m paying the consequence for his mistake. I’ve lost all the people whom I thought were important to me and now I see that they weren’t because true friends would have been there for me through the good and the bad, not just the good. Life as I knew if was spiraling out of control. People I didn’t even know were calling me names and threatening me for something he did. As a result of their action I started second guessing myself and blaming myself seemed like the only answer. I could have done a number of things like, I could have given up on life, I could have transferred schools, or worst of all I could have hid out and pretended that none of this ever happened to me. There’s definitely times when I blame myself my for mistakes but I have realized that I did absolutely nothing to deserve what happened. Instead of rolling over and letting him and everyone who was against me think that they won I fought for what I knew was right and what I believed in. Although today I’m still struggling with all my pain I have realized that forgiveness is the most important thing like Christ says in Matthew 6:14 “For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.” Although it is very hard I know that I need to find it in my heart to forgive him. All of this brings me back to what I believe which is being the bigger person in all situation whether it is tough or not.

Life isn’t always a piece of cake, there will be tough times too. However the tough times have the ability to make us stronger as individuals as long as we handle them the right way. As a result of my situation I have become a better person. I still struggle with the pain of that night everyday but I know that I have many people in my life who care for me very much. Being the bigger person has ultimately helped me become the stronger person I am today.

This I believe