JacQuelin - Fairborn, Ohio

I believe that poverty is consuming our nation. I believe that in order to successfully contain this problem, education is the key. Not just education from school, but money management education, diversity education and education on how to be more compassionate to those living in poverty. I believe that by electing Barack Obama as president of our country, we will see a change and begin to heal this nation and repair the world. America has always been known as the country of dreams; everyone wants to live the American dream. This is why people from all over the world come to here to create this huge melting pot that we call America. We need a government that cares about its entire people, not just the richest 10%. We need a government who is going to start taking care of home and realize that even though we help other countries, we can’t ignore our own.

Poverty is killing our nation. Millions of children are going without health insurance, veterans who have proudly served our country are homeless, and jobs are disappearing everyday. I intern at a family violence Prevention center, where I see poverty at its best everyday. All of the clients are escaping domestic violence, and have none or low financial means to do so. One lady is currently awaiting a source of income in order to move out of the shelter, into her own apartment. She has applied for Social Security and was denied. She is applying again, but has not yet heard back. Millions of people are awaiting assistance from the government, yet once it comes it is still not enough money. The problem is this: people need help, but the government doesn’t want to realize it. I believe that once we get a caring, compassionate, trustworthy, and patient person in Washington, change will come. This I believe.