Faith in a Loser: Me

Lia - Somerville, New Jersey

Faith in a Loser: Me

Faith in oneself is a strange thing. There are days when I have faith in myself and then there are the days when I wonder why I’m here. I can be my own worst enemy.

However, my faith in God has never wavered. Through the worst times of my life, He’s always believed in me. Finally understanding why God has faith in me was a long time coming.

I grew up a first generation Greek-Cypriot who also happens to be Greek Orthodox. Many great things were expected of me: a successful career and/or marriage. In truth, I was overweight and unhappy with who I was and not very successful in my career choices. So as you can see, I didn’t feel very faithful to myself.

It wasn’t until the last few years that my life began to change. It all started in 2002 after a health event that changed my way of thinking and my perception on the world. It was at that moment that I started to believe in myself and realized that I was truly loved not just by God but by my family and friends.

I realized that as long as my faith was alive in God, then that faith in myself would also be alive. As a self-described loser, I came to see that my life had meaning and purpose. I was destined to do great things within my own family and circle of friends. I really do make a difference in so many lives.

Ever since then, I began to make changes in my life. I’ve lost a substantial amount of weight and with this weight loss, my perception of myself has changed. I’ve also learned to accept my family for who they are no matter how much I prayed for Keatons as my perfect family.

But regardless of all that, I see a future ahead for me. A future in which choose to climb Mt. Everest. Or simply a future where I can watch my niece and nephew grow into the two of the most fantastic people ever. What it really means is a life full of belief in God and in myself as His child and to do His Will for what’s best for me.

My life finally has purpose and that purpose is to love and live and proclaim my faith in God by being the best person I can be and that starts with faith in a winner: me.