Poverty in U.S.

Candice - fariborn, Ohio

When I think about poverty and social just I ask myself what exactly is poverty and who does it effect? Many people don’t fully understand what poverty is and don’t think it occurs in the United States. But the truth is that it does effect families and communities in the United States. So the U.S. citizens need to understand certain concepts of poverty including; how poverty is measured in the United States, who are poor in the United States, and what does the government do to help out families in poverty.

Poverty is hunger. Poverty is lack of shelter. Poverty is being sick and not being able to see a doctor. Poverty is not being able to go to school, not knowing how to read, and not being able to speak properly. Poverty is not having a job, fear for the future and living one day at a time. Poverty is losing a child to illness brought about by unclean water. Poverty is powerlessness, lack of freedom Poverty has many faces, changing from place to place and across time, and has been described in many ways. Most often poverty is a situation people want to escape. So poverty is a call to action. I think it’s time to change the world so that many more people living in poverty may have enough to eat, shelter, access to education and protection from violence. Unfortunately, poverty is often an invisible problem. The voices of the poor are seldom heard.

Poverty does not only exist in the United States, but also exists all around the world. Poverty is not only examined by your financial ability, but by your age, race, and area of living. Poverty exists when a particular person is not financially stable or do not have the right sources to stay on their feet. When it comes to an irrational form of poverty many families do not have what it takes to live a normal life. These families are missing the basic needs to survive. Some or no families may not have the right structure of housing to live in.

In my Social welfare and Social service class is based on poverty. In class we have open discussions a lot about poverty. Sometimes I can sit back and remembering what my family went through to survive and to get the proper heath care, food, shelter, and education. I have other siblings. My father is disabled and cannot work sometimes it bother me knowing that we were struggling. People don’t understand how it feels to live as low class unless they faced it some point in their life. It bothers me that American can quickly forget that we live in the richest country in the world. It seems at times that every16 year old drives a brand new car, and that every family can afford a 300,000 dollar house, but this is not the case. Many families in this country can barely afford food let alone the things we take for granted everyday. I think something should be done.