Rebecca - USA

“This I Believe…”

Social justice is the idea of a perfect society, in which there are no problems and everyone lives equally. Inequality should not exist in a society, nor should anyone be unhappy. Everyone should be able entitled to live an enjoyable life; this is what I believe is the main goal for a society. However, this is not the case. Societies are not perfect. This perfect society is a figment of imagination because in a society, social injustices are everywhere; an example of social injustice is poverty.

A society strives to have social justice. Social justice in a society makes the society almost like a utopia, in which it is an ideal place to live in. Everyone lives equally and there are no problems that people have to fight for to get justice. However, this idea is way in the future because there are social injustices everywhere in a society and poverty is being one of them.

Poverty rates are increasing everyday and people are falling further into poverty for many reasons, such as financial or personal reasons. It is a condition where people struggle to get by. Each payment the poor make, for instance paying for the rent or for food, is like taking the air out of them. It can take the poor a while to recover and be able to make the next payment. For this reason, social workers are in a society to help fight along side these people for social justice because these people are not able to fight by themselves. The government can not hear the cries and pleas of the poor because the poor represent the bottom of the list of activities that the government considers more important.

That is why I believe the government should take more initiatives in finding out a rough approximation of how many people are in poverty and find out the reasons why people are becoming poor. The government should not overlook these people because it gives the impression that the poor are a burden to a society and that these people should not be cared for. In doing so, can cause more people to fall further into poverty causing an increase in the number of people who are poor and an increase in social injustice.

All in all, this is my belief for a society. The inspiration for this belief did not come from a person, but from a course that I took in college. It opened my eyes to social injustices like poverty. Before taking the course, I was one out of the many members in a society that did not see the social injustices that were occurring within in our society. I did not realize that poverty was an important issue, but now I do. For this reason, societies should try to find ways to try to reduce poverty and only then would a society be one step closer in reaching social justice.