21 and Above

Evan - 40220, Kentucky

It’s a common scenario: A young teenager is surfing the Internet, listening to music, calling their friends, etc. All of the sudden, as they are looking at one of their favorite band’s Myspace page, the teen notices that said band is performing a show on a not too far off day in a place at most an hour’s drive away. The excited teen begins to call all of his or her friends, telling them to make plans to go to this concert. In the process of spreading the word, the teen clicks on a link to see more details about the concert. As the teen reads more about the concert, they see something that causes him or her to cry and throw their computer against the wall in anger, and then continue to bash the computer with any object(s) around them. This is the terrible symbol: 21+. All concerts in the United States should be open to all ages.

Let’s face it: The one thing that teens care about the most besides their friends and the opposite sex is music. Music is not noise (as most adults would tell you), nor is it even a sound. It is a way of life. It is even a competition sometimes: If one teen likes a band, a friend of his or hers may boast about seeing that band live, and will then gain respect from the other teen. Music is also one of the only two things that can hold a state of emotion, the other thing being the human mind. Having a concert in a place that only allows people above the age of 21 in is like denying teens life and feeling.

Concerts also help inspire future musicians to start creating their own music. In the majority of interviews on rock stars, whenever the interviewer asks the question “What inspired you to go and make music?” the response is usually about how the rock star went to an awesome concert as a teen and followed that band on tour. If teens cannot go to concerts, how will teens be inspired to make music? Forbidding teens from going to concerts is killing music.

If this continues, the so called “adults” of this country will continue to wrongfully oppress teens, which will cause the downfall of music, until music just becomes meaningless noise. The sad truth is, it has already begun. Today, we call that meaningless noise “Rap.” We must save the music!