Improvisation

Marta - USA

I don’t always know where I’m going, but somehow, I manage to get there. Three years ago, I decided to try a new sport, field hockey. The coach split us into three teams, the A, B, and C teams. The A team was the best, and the C team was the worst. As I recall, I never knew what I was doing. When the coach told me to play offensive, I didn’t know how to hit the ball, or even which way to hit the ball. I simply used improvisation, and did whatever the older girls did. Surprisingly, I managed to make the “B” team. This was a huge success!

At our first game, we tied. It was the same situation with the game after that, but all the other games were losses. However, that didn’t stop me from loving the sport. I got extremely good at it, and learned how to participate in the sport. I was determined to be captain of the team.

The next summer, I made the “A” team and I was with a lot of girls that were older than me. My best friend and I were the only sixth graders on the team. Nevertheless, It was really great to be with older girls that I could look up to. We had a really great record, and went to the championship. Unfortunately, we lost by one point in double over time. It was an overwhelming year.

Season three was the greatest time playing field hockey so far. I was on the “A” team, and it was everything I had dreamed of. I felt like I was setting a really excellent example for the other girls. I had made captain, and was with most of my friends; nothing could ruin this year!

Realizing my talents was possible all because of improvisation during the first season. I wouldn’t have made the team without all of my hard work, and lateral thinking. My open mind let me reach my goal of being captain of the field hockey team.