Fight for Victory

Matthew - 14127, North Dakota

Fight for Victory

I believe in victory and I think that in any aspect of life trying to win or get ahead is the most important thing you can do. I play some sports which by nature are competitive and my goal is always the same, to win. It does not matter if it is a team or individual sport, I always go for victory first and let the rest of the experiences connected with sports go along for the ride. I know some people on other sports teams that are just out to play their sport, but not to win. I do not understand this mindset. If you are going to put time and effort into doing something you should fight hard enough to win or come in contention. If you know that there is no way you can win at what you are doing, but you still try to win, I respect this. If you compete half-heartedly knowing that you can’t win I think you have no place on a team. Always try to achieve victory, don’t settle for defeat or second place. Losers do that. Gaining a victory and having pride in ones ability to achieve is also extended into academics. I am a junior in high school who receives above-average grades because I fight for every point on the paper and learn things that I don’t think I am going to need, but the school thinks I need. To go through school barely passing is all the same to me. It is subsistence due to lack of effort. It would drive me nuts to just barely pass and to have to show my parents how I could have done something great but was too lazy. In school you need an attitude of victory and goals of success in order to do anything worthwhile. In a time when many of my peers have chosen to subsist, I have chosen to push ahead and try to beat them out so I can win. Nationally it would be nice to see some healthy competition among Americans. Competition is the way the fittest are selected and this means that I must win in order to influence life. History is written by the victors and those who are and were victorious had to believe that they could achieve victory. Victory, in this I believe.