American Heroes

Nicholas - Fairfax, Vermont

I believe in American heroes. Two hundred years ago, our forefathers were disgruntled with the English Monarchy, and decided to take action. They declared their independence from these overlords, and created a nation, founded on the principle that “all men are created equal;” that the legitimacy of government comes from the people. These heroes created a constitution in which the framework for the government was laid out.

Unfortunately, these heroes have long since passed on and today’s world is very different than it was in the 18th century. People are less interested in their government. They don’t much care for who is governing them, and, in fact, are more worried about seeing the next big action movie, or debating what place to eat at for dinner. Money is king in this self-centered society. Big corporations lobby congress to pass bills in their favor, which only benefit a select few, while the rest pay for it in increased taxes. Employees’ jobs are being outsourced to foreign countries, just so the employer can turn an extra dollar. Industrial complexes are spewing harmful toxins into our air and water, and are only given a slap on the wrist for doing so. Basically, the country is being split into two classes: the rich and the poor. The rich have all the money, and, therefore, they have the power. Sound familiar? This sounds like a monarchy to me; with the powerful upper-class and royalty ruling over the peasants. This is what our forefathers wanted to escape. Yet it seems that their dreams of freedom and equality are slowly disappearing.

We once again need American heroes; those persons who worry about “the people” before themselves. We need heroes to stand up to our government, and restore it, so that it reflects our American principles. It doesn’t take much to become an American hero. Watching the news, reading the newspaper, talking to a representative, writing to the editor, debating with a friend or colleague, or just simply forming an opinion makes you a hero. People who run for office, and are elected, and who always and faithfully fulfill the requests of the people, are heroes.

I believe that we can no longer split our political ideas into either the liberal or conservative, the donkey or elephant, the red or blue. As Americans, we need to come together as one group of people, that are dedicated to making change. But in order to fulfill this, we need heroes to start the movement, to start the change. We need those individuals who will convince the rest of the people to fulfill their duties, and to uphold the principles of America.

I believe and know in my heart that I will be one of these heroes, that I will stand up for what I believe in, and challenge the government to change it. But I cannot do this alone. I need many more heroes to step up to this large plate.

I believe that we need the formation of a Moderate party; that which represents the ideals of the people. With this third political party, I believe it will be easier for the left and the right to act with bipartisanship, and that we will finally be able to come up with a way to solve our problems.