Troy - Jesup, Iowa
Themes: respect, work

In our world everyone has a self image of what they want to be or how they see themselves as. People are too caught up in judging one another right away before actually taking the time out to discover who the person really is.

In our culture we have people that are seen as higher up than others, obviously you have the President, athletes, artists and singers to name a few, but what about the other people that do things behind the scenes that goes unrecognized? For example, Garbage men, how many kids do you know that grow up saying they want to become a garbage man? I know it wasn’t one of my dreams growing up as a kid. I wanted to become a professional athlete, preferably basketball. I didn’t realize until I was older that, that wasn’t going to happen. Athletes are recognized for what they do on the court, not necessarily the lifestyle the live off of it.

Athletes make more money than any other profession in the world, but should they? Don’t get me wrong I’m a huge sports fan and the time and dedication they put into the game they love shouldn’t go unrecognized, but what about the garbage man working all day picking up your garbage? Can they not love their job too? Granted it might not have been there dream, but they still might love what there doing. It’s a dirty job but some ones got to do it.

Then you have doctors, doctors go to school for eight years to earn degrees in the medical field. They literally save lives. Yes, they get paid very well but it’s still not a fraction of what professional athletes are paid. When athletes get hurt who do they go to for help, Doctor’s? Why aren’t there advertisements and campaigns recognizing these people? All I’m saying as It seems like the system is almost backwards. Athletes should be making two to three hundred thousand dollars a year and doctors should be getting two million.

Obviously these aren’t the only professions like this. There are thousands of them; I’m just using a garbage man and a doctor as examples. It just seems like people often get caught up in what someone does for a profession rather than seeing the true person. No matter what career choice you make, it doesn’t make you any worse than the next. I’m not writing this paper saying I’m not guilty of judging people by there looks or the job they have, because everyone is guilty of it at some point or another. I’m just letting everyone know that this is the way I see things on this particular topic. I know me writing this paper isn’t going to change the way our society is or the way people think, I guess in a way I’m just challenging you to try to see past what someone does or looks like before judging them.