I Believe in the Power of Family

Decota - Independence, Iowa

For as long as I can remember I have been taught that family is the most important thing in a person’s life. I have not only been told this growing up, but I’ve also seen it. I can honestly say that I have and always will believe that there is great power in family.

My family is a very large one. My dad is one of nine children. All of his brothers and sisters are married and all of them have at least two kids. To add to that, many of their children have children of their own. Then I have my dad’s extended family. Now most people I know aren’t that close to their second and third cousins and so on. However, that is not the case for me. My family gets together all the time and we never fail to enjoy ourselves. There is not a single person in my family that doesn’t think it’s important to get together often. We keep in touch and know what’s going on in each others’ lives. There’s always something happening. Whether it’s a baby being born, of which there’s at least three a year, or someone getting married. We are always kept informed. More importantly, we are always ready to help in whatever way we can.

My family never hesitates to call each other if we need help. It can be anything from needing extra help doing things around the house, or help building a house. We’re always there. It’s great to know that you always have someone that will help you when you need it. In fact, you’ll have several people who will help. I’ve been on the receiving end, and I’ve also been the one to give my help. My extended family has helped my family with many things like chores around our farm, projects on our house, meals when we’ve had a death or illness in the family, and anything and everything else we’ve needed. My family never hesitates to do the same. We never ask questions. We’re always there for each other.

My family treats everyone we meet like they are part of our family. They are warm and loving and make everyone feel welcome. When I brought my girlfriend to a family gathering for the first time, everyone introduced themselves and wanted to know her name. She said she felt closer to them the first time she met them then she does with her own family. That makes me feel like I am a lucky person. My family has gotten me through so many hard times, and I don’t know what I’d do without them. If nothing else I’d be a lot lonelier, since I talk to at least one of them every day.

Although I’ve always appreciated the helpfulness of my family, I have never appreciated it more than I do now. I’m getting older and will soon be out on my own. I know that I will never truly be alone though. My family will always be one call away. They are a truly powerful force that can get me through any obstacles I may cross in life.