What I Believe

Melissa - Brooklyn, New York

What I Believe

By Melissa N

I believe that “to everything there is a season and a time in every purpose.” (Ecclesiastes 3:1) Unlike most teenagers, I could hardly wait to sit down on a comfy couch with all my friends and watch the Super Bowl XLII, airing at 6:30 p.m on Sunday, February 7, 2008. Earlier my day consisted of numerous tasks such as doing the laundry, buying groceries and going to work; however, nothing could calm my nerves about the “big game” that night. At work, I sat impatiently filing papers on the office desk until I noticed it was time for me to leave and get ready for the night.

To my relief I made it home just in time and hopped on the bus to go to my friend’s house. I started to believe that I was almost there and would make it on time, but that idea was quickly shattered when I saw the traffic ahead of us and the number of people entering and exiting the bus. As I looked at my watch, I almost cried when I saw it was 6:00 p.m.

Finally, I arrived at my friend’s house just in time to see Jordin Sparks, the former American Idol winner, perform the national anthem. Inhaling deeply, I took a seat on the couch with my friends and watched in horror for the first two quarters of the game as the Giants still continued with the same score. By half –time, most of my friends started doubting that the Giants had a chance at victory, and by the third quarter, they came up with the definite conclusion that our team would not win; but I still believed in them.

Time flew by quickly as we entered into the fourth quarter. Because I had a sore throat caused by yelling at the flat television screen, I lay down on the couch and began to doubt the Giants also. They must have known what I was thinking, because with two minutes and forty-seconds left on the clock, Tom Brady surprised us all with a 6-yard touchdown. Continuing to impress his fans, at only 35 seconds left on the clock, Plaxico Buress caught the winning touchdown exactly how he had performed for warm-up earlier that morning, bringing the score to 17 -14.

Later that night, because of all my screaming, jumping, dancing and all the normal thing Giants fans do, I lay in bed with a headache and sore throat. That’s when I came to the conclusion that everything has its own time for achievement if you work hard at it. Earlier that day I didn’t believe I would make it in time to see the Super Bowl, and later, I didn’t believe the Giants would win against the undefeated Patriots. However, the Giants victory can teach us a lesson in life that time is a continuous count for us, and in one split second it can define us all. Time has its own special season of achievement if we work hard at what we do and just believe.