Chelsea - wichita, Kansas

Chelsea S

When, I first received this assignment, I had no idea what I believed in. So naturally, I started to worry that I would not have anything to write about and I would get a bad grade on the assignment. I guess I could just make up something? No, that was not going to work, you cannot just make up a belief, that was not the point.

My first thought was to think through my life, and see if anything stood out, if I had any hidden beliefs to find. My life has been centered around music for as long as I can remember, but it didn’t seem to be, a belief. I feel it is important to do well in school, but still not a belief. I was stuck, anything I thought of, school, family, music, friends, all important in my life, but not what I thought was a belief. I still did not think that I would come up with anything. My life is busy, and I just do not feel that anything in my life has become a belief.

But wait, that’s it!

I am only 16, and all my life I have been constantly learning. My schools were and still are melting pots full of ideas and beliefs that the teachers and other “grown ups” want me to live by. I attend church, where I learn about more beliefs that I could take as my own. I am surrounded by many beliefs that I could easily take as my own, but their not mine. I wan to live my life and discover my own beliefs that apply to my own life. That is why right now, as just a junior in high school, I feel that I don’t have a belief, except that I believe in living my own life, so one day, I can find that belief that’s mine.

I am young; I still have my whole life ahead of me to make my own decisions about what I believe in. I believe in having my own belief, one that I discover through living my own life. My life will one day lead to my belief. This I Believe.