The Hardest Sport

Robert - Louisville, Kentucky
Themes: sports

Davies 1

Sinclair D

Metcalfe

Lit./Comp.

14 February 2008

TIB Essay

The Hardest Sport

Many sports are hard to play, and all are difficult to master, but there is one sport in particular that is harder than any other sport; swimming. I believe that swimming is by far the hardest sport. Yes, there are always your sports like football where you get injured very easily, but swimming is harder on the muscles than any other sport known to man.

I have been swimming competitively (all year round) for nine years now and I can assure you that you can not find a harder sport. Swimming is truly a dedication sport. I practice eight times a week, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 3:30 P.M. – 6:30 P.M., Tuesday and Thursday from 5:00 A.M. – 6:30 A.M. and again from 3:30 P.M. – 6:30 P.M., and on Saturdays from 7:00 A.M. – 10:00 A.M. I haven’t heard of any other sports that do that at this age level.

When I was in fifth grade, it was the first time I played tackle football. I remember going to the first practice and thinking I was going to die out there, I’m only a little swimmer. Then after practice I remember thinking, “Wow that was easy.” The truth is that swimming is harder than football; you can ask anybody who swam this year on the St. X team after the football season was over. I have heard people say that golf is the

Davies 2

hardest sport. Golf may be more mentally straining, but all golfers do that can be called physical activity is swing a club, and walk around the golf course (They have other people carry their bags for them).

It was proven in Times Magazine that swimming burns more calories than any other sport. A beginning swimmer, who isn’t even swimming correctly, burns more than 950 calories per hour swimming. The sport that burns the second most calories was running, which burns up to 900 calories per hour. The reason swimming is so hard is that it uses every muscle in your body. I have seen lots of over-weight golfers and football players, but I don’t remember the last time I saw an overweight swimmer.

The next time you are looking for a way to work out, you should try swimming for about an hour every day, there’s nothing better. I guess the next time someone starts talking about how hard football practice was, or how they are tired from basketball practice, they might stop and think about swimmers before they open their mouth.