The Endless Obsession

Damian - El Paso, Texas

“Que cante mi gente!” sang Hector Lavoe through an old beat up boom box atop a wobbly table. I was very young when I first heard this chorus, and I didn’t understand its purpose. Still, it was very catchy. My father liked to play many old songs when it was time to clean the house. I was intrigued with this passion of his. I soon learned that it was genetic, for my love for the art grew as I did. I discovered that music has much more to offer than a catchy chorus and groovy beat. This is why I believe that music is an essential part of life, if not life itself. So, what makes music so special? Upon first inspection, you will notice that music makes you feel different. That’s the case for me. When my father plays his music everything becomes a little more cheery. Especially the chores I had to do every weekend. Upon discovering music’s effect with chores, I decided to apply it to other menial tasks. I then, with a silver walkman CD player, began listening to music while doing homework. Suddenly the dull and very tedious experience became a breeze. I felt as if the knowledge was simply flowing out of my head onto the paper. I thought, “Wow! If music can make math easier, it can do anything.” As I moved on into high school, I discovered that music brings out more than a cheery atmosphere. I realized that music could amplify any mood a person was feeling. This realization was first discovered when I began listening to the band called The Black Dahlia Murder. When first signing up for high school I gladly signed up for advanced placement courses. I was swamped with homework the first two weeks of school that year. I was frustrated with this, and my newfound musical preference intensified this feeling. The feeling itself was almost primal. It felt as if my mind and body became one. Such clarity of thought then allowed me to forget about all my worries. I easily conquered the challenges laid before me by my AP classes. At that moment, it hit me. This truly must be music’s purpose. Why else would humans retain the ability to make music if it did nothing more than entertain people? Music has the power to bring out raw emotions from anybody who listens to it. I trust that this power is essential for human existence. Without the ability to safely cope with the stresses of life, people would go insane. Thus, the purpose of music is clear as day. It makes life all the more enjoyable by making boring everyday tasks more interesting. It also gives people a way to escape reality and collect themselves internally. This is why I believe music is life. Like water, it quenches a thirst for something more. Like food, it nourishes the soul. And like blood, it runs through everyone’s veins.