Getting in Trouble

Molly - Mt. Jackson, Virginia

I believe in not getting busted if you’re going to do drugs.

I was at a party and got busted by the cops for possession of marijuana. The next door neighbors called the police for making too much noise. The cops came, saw beer cans lying around, and marijuana lying on a table.

A cop said, “Get on the ground with your hands in front, feet spread out.” Some people ran, some got on the ground. The whole time you’re lying there thinking what is going to happen. A cop was holding a gun in front of me and said, “Put one hand behind your back,” while another cop was putting handcuffs on me.

I was put in a back set of a cop car. They took me to jail, put me in a cell, and closed the door. One of the cops came back, “You can make one phone call.” Instead of letting me, he asked for my home number so I told him.

The police said to my parents the words I did not want them to hear. “Mrs. and Mr. T, your daughter is in jail! We have just busted her for possession of marijuana.” I was in a cell all by myself, with a stinky bed; with a wool blanket that felt like it was burning my skin off, and I couldn’t go to sleep.

Everything going through my head was bad. I was thinking, “What will my parents do to me?” The next morning at 2:00 p.m. my parents were there and they were looking at me like they were sad and mad at the same time. The police told me, “You need to be in court tomorrow morning at 9:00 a.m.”

I got into the car, my parents saying nothing to me; they wouldn’t even look at me. I tried to explain but they did not want to hear it.

The next morning I got up at 6:00 a.m., took a shower and waited for my parents to get ready. I got to the court room. The judge said, “You are 12 years old, you’re under age for drinking, and marijuana is illegal in the United States.”

“What do you want me to do with you?” he asked.

I said, “I know what I have done is wrong and I can not tell you what to do. The only thing I can say is that I don’t want to go back to go back to Juvee; I want to stay home.”

I was in the court room for two hours when the judge said, “I’m letting you off with a year of probation. You are not allowed to go anywhere unless your parents are with you.”

He asked me if I understood. I said, “Yes sir.”

I believe if you choose to do drugs don’t get busted. Or be drug free. When I got busted for possession of marijuana I felt scared. This has made me think more about going to parties.