Ashley - Wichita, Kansas

The Importance of Goals

In one year I will be graduating from high school and starting a new chapter in my life. In one year I will achieve one of my goals, as well as, begin a long journey in the process of completing another one of my goals. The goal I will complete: graduate high school with my IB diploma. The goal that I will undertake: go to college to establish a career. Others might view these as common objectives of life, but I see them as highly personal aspirations that contain a different level of significance for everyone. The goals I set need to be realistic and have a purpose.

The setting and achieving of my goals can be contributed to the numerous people in my life who guide me everyday. My parents inspired me to set goals that will benefit me in life. After completing elementary school, my parents encouraged me to apply for the pre-IB program knowing that it would challenge me. Through the experience in the pre-IB program, it became a goal of mine to make it into the official IB program. Many times I have thought about how much stress I could have avoided if I didn’t take this route in my life; however, I am consistently reassured by my teachers that it will pay off in the end and I will be glad that I persisted through the hard work. All of the family and teacher encouragement that I receive everyday has led me to set another goal of going to college and pursuing a career that will impact the rest of my life

Throughout life I learned for me to achieve my dreams I must make goals for myself. I learned that I should write all of my goals down and keep a list of them not only to help remind myself of these goals, but also to compel a sense of “realness� within them. When I am able to cross off one of my goals, it gives me a feeling that I am doing something with my life and not letting precious moments of time slip away from me. Setting goals is a step by step process in which one must start with smaller goals and work up to the main goal.

I have learned to appreciate and not take for granite the encouragement that I receive from my friends, family and teachers. Goals are a very important part of my life and will lead me to a successful future. This I believe.