I Believe in Perseverance

Nicole - Wichita, Kansas

I believe in perseverance. As a high school junior in the International Baccalaureate Program, I have had to persevere through many times in which I felt like giving up. The International Baccalaureate Program (or IB Program for short) is a rigorous college preparatory program for high school students in which the classes rival certain college courses and are extremely accelerated for this particular age group. I think it’s safe to say that all of my fellow IB scholars have been down that road where you really doubt if the program is for you and if it is truly possible to make it through to the end. Many of my peers have concluded that it was not for them and have exited the program. It was slightly discouraging to me to lose a lot of my closer friends. Despite that, I have managed to make it thus far and hope I can attain the IB diploma in addition to my high school diploma when the time comes for me to graduate from high school.

I remember a week this year that I had two essays due on the same day, four quizzes throughout the week, a portion of an internal assessment due, volunteering for three hours after school one day, and homework in no less than four classes every night that week. That particular week was also a couple of days before my birthday. Life in the IB Program dictates those kinds of grueling weeks from time to time; the kind of week in which you just want to run away from it all and say ‘I give up.’

But you can’t.

I’ve learned that in order to succeed, you have to persevere through every difficult time in life, whether it’s personal, academic, or work-related. One of my dreams has always been to graduate from college and find a career that suits me. To do this, one has to succeed in school and take challenging courses, which requires perseverance and self-discipline. So I have consistently had perseverance throughout my life since I’ve unceasingly been driven to excel in school. I’ve always believed in persistence to some extent, but my participation in the IB Program has strengthened my belief in persistence a great deal. To paraphrase my English teacher, ‘anything of true value is never easy to obtain.’ I will greatly value my IB diploma if I fulfill all the requirements that allow me to receive it, as it will represent a time in my life that I tried hard and never gave up in order to meet a goal.

One of my strongest convictions is my belief in perseverance.