Please Excuse My Clichéd Essay

Katherine - Brooklyn, New York

C Band Friday morning, this assignment posed a daunting task. Something I believe in1? I have no pizza dude philosophies and certainly haven’t shot the breeze in a Vietnam prisoner of war camp. I’m sixteen and I don’t know what I’m wearing the next day, much what I can believe in for more than a weekend. It wasn’t until later that Friday; when I was trapped2 in a Mexican takeout place with an ex-boyfriend, that an essay topic hit me: only time can heal all wounds.

As the rain slapped against the windows, I mentally slapped myself for thinking everything would go back to normal. It had been exactly two weeks since we had last seen each other, which translates into about three pints of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, four chick flicks and endless conversations with friends about how ugly his shoes are. And while all those things made me feel better for a bit, at the end of the day what was I left with? A whole lot of empty calories, Blockbuster late fees, and annoyed friends.

Time is the only thing that can tell if an awkward head nod4 will turn into a handshake or hug. Time is the only thing that can shed some perspective and light on a confusing situation. Time is the only thing that can determine when you’re ready to start listening to sappy love songs again without feeling nauseous. People need time to learn from their mistakes and need to take the time to mentally slap themselves if they make them again. Time is something we all have, but could always use more of, so spend yours wisely. It has healing powers that rival those of Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food.

1- That is, something I believe in that’s not completely shallow like Red Bull is the most amazing thing in the world or Chuck from Gossip Girl is the best looking guy on the show.

2- Trapped may bring you back to R. Kelly’s epic song(s) ‘Trapped in the Closet’ and you may think that I’m over-exaggerating. However, leaving the restaurant is a sign of weakness, it was pouring rain outside, and I had just ordered my nachos grande with extra steak.

3- Friends don’t even cover who had to listen to my ugly shoe rant. Strangers, customers at Key Food, people on the bus and even inanimate objects were all subjected to it as well.

4- The head nod is normally reserved for male acquaintances that you are on close enough terms with to acknowledge, but don’t care enough to give a pound or brotherly one armed hug. It should never be used for neurotic ex-girlfriends who over-analyze everything.

5- I’ve never been one for love songs because they always make me feel nauseous, so in my case only time will tell when I can start listening to Led Zeppelin again.