Above All Things I Believe in Love

Briana - Brooklyn, New York
Themes: love

A penniless writer named Christian in the movie Moulin Rouge once said “Love? Above all things I believe in love. Love is a many splendid thing, love lifts us up where we belong!”-and I agree. But I believe that there are three different kinds of love–love that you’re stuck with, love that you pick, and love that picks you.

Let’s start with the first kind of love–love that you’re stuck with–family. No matter how much I may fight with my family, I know that they’re going to be there in the end. For example, when I was younger, I used to attend day camp. Once a summer, the entire day camp would go on an over night trip to the Hamptons, but my Mom never let me go. I’m an only child, so my Mom is extra over protective. I was always mad because my friends went every year, and hearing the great stories didn’t make it any better. Every year I never let my Mom get away easy, because hearing the word “NO” from family doesn’t make me smile. But in retrospect it doesn’t make me stop loving them; I move on like all other rational people.

Now on to the second kind of love–love that you pick–is illustrated by “you CAN pick your friends”. The friends that I have chosen are a lot like me, and I choose to love them because they’re the most amazing people I know. My 5 best friends and I made joint scrapbooks for each other’s Sweet 16’s. We all chipped in to buy the supplies and we got to make 5 pages each for every 20 page scrapbook. This meant that aside from seeing each other everyday at school, every weekend and day off we had, we saw each other in dedication to the scrapbooks. Since my friends and I are so involved with school, and our birthdays are so close together, we usually finished each scrapbook the last minute before we left our houses to go to that person’s party.

The third kind of love–love that chooses you–is shared with that significant other in your life. However those endless kisses from that special someone are unknown to me at this point in my life, but one day that will change.

In Moulin Rouge, Christian also said “All you need is love!” Christian makes a valid point, because love is passionate and tender, and giving and receiving that emotion is definitely all I need.