Gardener’s Wisdom

Justin - Louisville, Kentucky
Themes: environment

Justin A

Mrs. MetcalfeHonors English 110 February 2008

Gardener’s WisdomI believe that everyone in the world should grow a plant— it is the perfect representation of human life. A plant starts out as a seed, and humans start out as an egg. Like the plant, which begins growing in the seed, humans grow inside the womb of their mothers. The plant, when it is developed enough, springs forth from the seed, breaking new ground. When a baby human is developed enough, it also “springs forth” from its mother and starts a new phase of its life. In the early stages of its life, the plant grows vigorously, as do small children. Both plant and child always seem to be striving to be taller and stronger than before.Then, as the plant becomes more developed, the growing process slows. Humans after developing more, also begin to stop growing as quickly. After fully growing, the plant enters a phase in which it does not grow anymore and begins to reproduce. Humans do the same as well. The plant and the human then go into a state of decline. Plants begin to turn brown and start to lose their leaves, while humans’ hair turns grey and begins to fall out. Both do not have the strength to keep their original stature and begin to shrink. Finally, the unavoidable happens— death. The plant and humans become one as the dust of the Earth.Growing plants has been a part of my life ever since I was a small child. Every year my parents would let my brothers and me pick a plant to grow. My parents started us off with flowers, and as we got older, we were allowed to grow vegetables in a garden in our backyard. Growing the plants, I believe, taught us to respect life and how important it is to take care of it. As soon as I was deemed “old enough,” my parents let me use an old sandbox as my own garden, where I could grow anything I wanted. Having my own garden has taught me to take responsibility for what is mine as well as the importance of respecting life.I believe that if everyone in the world had the opportunity to grow and study a plant the world would be a better place. People would be able to see the importance of life and be able to recognize how important it is to respect the value of life. I believe the world would be a better place if everyone had his or her own garden and was able to grow a plant.    Word count= 429