Serving your Community

garrett - Louisville, Kentucky
Themes: community

In this age there are many people who are extremely rich and there are people who are very poor. These people are in need of help in many ways. They generally haven’t had the best of luck in their life. It could be a homeless person who is in need of food and shelter. It could also be someone who has been successful, but is still in need, like an elderly person who just needs someone to talk to. I believe that participating in community service is crucial in living in today’s society.

This past summer of 2007, I volunteered at Jewish Hospital for about five hours every Tuesday and Thursday. I helped family of patients find the room that the patient was in. I also took the family back to see the patient before and after the surgery. I helped two women named Brenda and Linda, who worked in the outpatient surgery area. To me it seemed like I was helping them a lot and they were enjoying when I was there. When I would help someone find where he or she was going, they would also thank me and one time someone tried to pay me for my “excellent service”. Doing this volunteer work gave me a great sense of pride and knowledge of a hospital (I would like to be a doctor when I am older).

I have also done various volunteer work at soup kitchens in downtown Louisville. I dreaded going to them at first, but then I realized how much it meant to them that I would come there to help them on my own time. I soon couldn’t wait to go to serve them food. When the people would say “God Bless You”, it meant so much to me. The men were always so cheerful and they would make jokes. It was a very moving experience for me.

I believe that if people don’t volunteer their own time to help others, then they are too concerned with money. They want to be paid for helping a homeless man eat a dinner. I believe that money is the main goal in life for many people whereas it should be seeing that others are happy.